Policy1 is a powerful, flexible modelling platform that can be used to evaluate the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, costs and harms of alternative cancer control strategies. The platform uses a world-leading disease modelling approach, and incorporates information about multiple aspects of cancer and risk behaviour, including:
- the ‘natural history’ of different cancers i.e., the course a disease takes in individual people from its onset until its detection, and eventual resolution to recovery or death
- prevention strategies, including vaccination and lifestyle interventions
- individual risk factors and screening behaviours
- cancer treatment type and uptake
- variation in different subgroups of the population.
In addition to existing, mature models, Policy1-Cervix and Policy1-Bowel, the team is building six modelling platforms: Policy1-Prostate, Policy1-Melanoma, Policy1-Ovary, Policy-Lung, Policy1-Breast and Policy1-Lynch